No - not quite!
It still kept insisting that something wasn't quite right with the lower part ------ and eventually I had to agree and try to work it out: the last two versions were so very close to being right that I more or less let that guide me, and by doing so I finally realized what the painting was trying to tell me. And this time I know in "my bones" that it is now complete and that the top and the bottom part belong together. I think that the difficulty occurred because the top part simply fell into place by itself very quickly and as I totally fell in love with it, I didn't want to touch it ------------- unfortunately, that left the lower part to be worked on by itself and the problem became to somehow make it complement the upper part without taking over, but remain just a part of a whole - and at the same time make the two belong together. Normally I continue working all over a painting in progress and by doing that it automatically becomes unified and I don't end up with a painting that really has two parts with little connection between them - as happened here where I actually ended up with two unrelated areas on one canvas.
Now I think that they flow together naturally and I certainly cannot think of any change that would be beneficial - the other thing is, of course, that one has to stop at some point and no matter how hard I try, I don't think I would be capable of improving it further. There is some truth in the old saying that it is your mistakes you learn from - and I'm glad that I stuck with it and by doing that came to understand why this one ended up being such a struggle, so that I can hopefully avoid getting into the same situation again. The funny thing is, that I have always known in theory that you shouldn't do what I just did - and still I did it!!!